The station cost £212 to build in red brick with cream painted poster boards and chocolate-coloured framing. The extension over the front was covered with red tiles, as was the main roof. A booking office and waiting room was provided. Water columns and tanks weer fitted at each end of the station platform. A station master's house was provided
A three-arched red brick-faced viaduct crossed the River Cairn just below the station.
Electrically controlled home and starter signals were present for both directions and a telephone system was provided for communication between stations. In about 1936 the London Midland and Scottish Railway removed the original signals and the line was worked by a brass Key Token Trains, however replacement signals were provided to control the passing loop.
Trains were controlled by a 'lock and block' system whereby the trains operated treadles on the single line to interact with the block instruments.
A few pictures of the area can be seen below